The World Food Prize selects a highly qualified undergraduate or graduate student for the unique opportunity to take significant responsibility and initiative in carrying out event planning related activities as they pertain to the Laureate Award Ceremony and Hall of Laureates .
The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background, a solid work ethic, a capacity for analytical thinking, impeccable attention to detail and excellent oral and written communication skills.
The World Food Prize Laureate Award Ceremony
The fall events intern will have the important task of being a part of the Laureate Award Ceremony team and working directly with the Director of Communications and Events and the Vice President. Projects related to this are below, but are not limited to this list.
- Onsite at the event to assist with seating in the Chamber and then dinner seating following the event
- Onsite during the week of events to assist with set-up and organization of dinner seating tables.
- Help with the process of stuffing tickets the week prior to the events
- Working directly with the Vice President to assign placement of guests related to seating
- Working directly with the Director of Communications and Events to make seat cards for VIP seating
- Communicate with guests and assist the Vice President with VIP Sponsors picking up tickets early
- Assist the Director of Communications and Events on organizing reserve crop, docents and volunteers for the entire event
- Assist the Director of Communications and Events with the video/script process of the Laureate Award Ceremony
- Assist with the organization of entertainment for the Laureate Award Ceremony
- Assist with writing copy for the Laureate Award Ceremony program
The World Food Prize Hall of Laureates
During the fall internship semester the events intern will gain vast knowledge of running private and public events at the World Food Prize Hall of Laureates. The intern will work directly with the Director of Communications and Events on these tasks. Projects related to this are below, but are not limited to this list.
- One Tuesday a month (September, October, November and December) the intern will run a Tuesday open house in order to gain direct event experience.
- The intern will spend 2 open houses to be trained on the process of running an open house
- The intern will follow the Director of Communications and Events on pre-event tours and meetings to gain event planning experience.
- The intern will work with the Director of Communications and Events to create the Hall of Laureates schedule for the week of WFP in October.
- Communicate with all caterers for the WFP Events in the Hall of Laureates
- Create floor plans for events
- Communicate with vendors the needs for the events – tables, chairs, etc.
- Help to work with event staff to make sure all events are correctly staffed and have a point person. The GWC intern will not be onsite during the majority of these events.
- The intern will assist in the process of steaming and organizing the flags for the Borlaug Dialogue.
- The intern will assist in the planning of the Norman Borlaug Award for Field Research and Application at the Hall of Laureates.
- Menu planning
- Chair/table plan
- Work with Caterers
- Work with a/v team
- Help with the seating process associated with this event.
- Create seating name cards for this event
- Help with the production of the program – write copy and distribute programs at the event
World Food Prize Holiday Open Houses (November and December)
The events intern will take on the project of organizing and planning the 2017 World Food Prize Holiday Open Houses in collaboration with the Director of Communications and Events. There are many projects involved in this event and several they are listed below. Projects related to this are below, but are not limited to this list.
- Help to organize the choirs for the events
- CityView Ad
- Two Datebook Ads
- Email Greg Edwards
- Work with CVB to help promote the event
- Contact Channel 23
- Contact Van and Bonnie
- Press Release
- E-Blast to Iowa, IYI and Hunger Directory Lists
- "The Big Show"
- DSM Register "Things to Do this Weekend"
- IPR Ads
- Local Libraries
- Posters for Hotels
- Website Banner On Website
- Work with staff to assist with Personal Emails
- Event on local newspaper/radio calendars