The World Food Prize Foundation announced today the selection of seven students for its summer George Washington Carver (GWC) Internship program. These exceptional students have the opportunity to work remotely or onsite at the Foundation headquarters in Des Moines, Iowa, alongside a mentor and other organizational staff.
This summer, interns hail from Drake University, Iowa State University, Texas A&M University and the University of Iowa. Students will work closely with experienced mentors on the WFPF staff while having the opportunity to meet and interact with government officials, World Food Prize Laureates, international media and other leaders in global food security.
“I am delighted to have the opportunity to join the World Food Prize Foundation this summer! I am excited to be a part of an international effort to eradicate hunger and food insecurities around the world,” said Vera Barkosky, 2022 summer intern.
The GWC Internship program has impacted hundreds of students since its founding in 2001. This experience allows interns to get involved in the programs and operations of the World Food Prize Foundation, impacting an international nonprofit organization while learning first-hand about critical food security issues.
“The World Food Prize has cultivated an environment where service to both local and global communities is celebrated. Being able to learn about the achievements of the Foundation's Laureates inspires me to continue striving for a career in the nonprofit sector,” said Minela Ikanovic, 2022 summer intern. “I’m looking forward to the summer and fall events at the WFPF and taking this experience with me in my studies."
Each semester, the World Food Prize Foundation solicits applications from students around the country for the GWC Internship program, which consists of three cohorts - Spring, Summer and Fall. Interns work on many important projects for the Foundation, including archives, awards management, event planning, communications, graphic design, grassroots efforts and youth programming. To read more about the George Washington Carver Internship program and to apply to be a part of the fall 2022 cohort, please visit www.worldfoodprize.org/gwcintern.
Summer 2022 GWC Interns:
- Anh Nguyen | Drake University Class of 2023 | email@example.com
- Meghan Holloran | Drake University Class of 2025 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maddie Cason | University of Iowa Class of 2025 | email@example.com
- Minela Ikanovic | University of Iowa Graduate School of Planning and Public Affairs Class of 2023 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Neha Kashyap | Texas A&M University Graduate School Class of 2023 | email@example.com
- Sophie Churchill | University of Iowa Ph.D. Program Class of 2025 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vera Barkosky | University of Iowa Class of 2024 | email@example.com