ELIGIBILITY: Any student who has participated in the World Food Prize Global Youth Institute and is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. is eligible to apply.
Owing to the significant responsibilities imposed under the internship program, applicants must be at least in 11th grade at the time they apply for the internship. Students remain eligible to apply for the internship through their freshman year of college. Interns do not receive compensation for their work, but their travel to and from the center, lodging, and meal expenses are paid by the World Food Prize Foundation.
DEADLINE: December 15, 2017
SELECTION: Participants in the internship program are chosen through a competitive, multi-state screening and interview process. Intern selection is based on:
- Background and interests of the student applicants.
- Number of research centers available to host interns.
- Project needs of participating research centers.
REQUIREMENTS: It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all seven of the below items are submitted in order to be eligible for the Borlaug-Ruan International Internship. The Student Information Form and two references must be submitted online. The additional application materials (cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, unofficial school transcript, copy of passport, and parent/guardian consent form) may be submitted either by mail or electronically.
If applying electronically, all of the additional materials must be submitted by 11:59PM PST on December 15. Application materials need not be submitted all at once. However, ALL materials must be uploaded in PDF format.
If sending in your application materials via mail, envelopes must be postmarked no later than December 15 and sent to the address at the bottom of the page. One envelope must include all of the additional application materials: cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, unofficial school transcript, copy of passport, and parent/guardian consent form.
A checklist of all of the application materials is available for download here.
- STUDENT INFORMATION FORM & REFERENCES: MUST BE COMPLETED ONLINE -
1. Student Information Form
Click here to complete the Student Information Form.
2 .Two References
Please provide the name, title, company, and email address for two references. One reference must be a teacher. The other reference can be a teacher, coach or mentor. Neither reference can be a relative or family member. It is highly recommended that you submit your references early to allow for ample time for your references to complete the form. Your references will need to complete the form, which will be submitted directly to them via email, by 11:59PM PST on December 22.
Click here to submit your references.
- ADDITIONAL MATERIALS: MAY BE UPLOADED ONLINE OR SUBMITTED BY MAIL -
3. Cover Letter
The cover letter should include the following:
a) An explanation as to why you would like to participate in the Borlaug-Ruan International Internship program.
b) Why you would be a good candidate.
c) If there is a particular country/region and research area of interest
If you are submitting your materials electronically, upload your cover letter here.
4. Resume or Curriculum Vitae
If you are submitting your materials electronically, upload your resume or curriculum vitae here.
5. Unofficial School Transcript
If you are submitting your materials electronically, upload your school transcript here.
6. Copy of Passport
a) For student applicants who are U.S. Citizens: Please submit a clear photocopy of the signature and photo page of the student applicant's U.S. passport, which must be valid through December 2018 and have a least one blank visa page; OR submit an invoice verifying that the applicant's U.S. passport application has officially been submitted to the U.S. Department of State prior to December 15, 2017.
b) For student applicants who are foreign nationals residing permanently in the U.S: Please submit photocopies of the signature and photo page of the student applicant's foreign passport and U.S. permanent resident card, both of which must be valid through December 2018 and have a least one blank visa page.
If you are submitting your materials electronically, upload your photo page or invoice here.
7. Parent/Guardian Consent Form
The parent/guardian consent form can be accessed here.
If you are submitting your materials electronically, upload your parent/guardian consent form here.
- November 15, 2017: Application Opens
- December 15, 2017: Application Closes
- December 22, 2017: Two recommendations due by 11:59pm PST (submitted directly by your references)
- December 2017 – Early January 2018: The World Food Prize team reviews applications
- December 2017 – January 2018: Applicants are notified on a rolling basis whether they have been selected for a phone interview
- Early February 2018: Applicants are notified on a rolling basis whether they have been selected for an in-person/Skype interview
- End of February 2018: Finalists are interviewed in-person or via Skype
- April 2018: Official announcement of intern selections and placements
- May 5, 2018: Borlaug-Ruan Intern Orientation
For more information, and to submit additional application materials by mail:
Director, International Internships & Career Development
The World Food Prize Foundation
100 Locust Street
Des Moines, IA 50309