Don't miss the Iowa Youth Institute at Iowa State University - Monday, April 25, 2016!
(Please note: instructions do not change from year to year as of 2014)
Iowa Youth Institute: April 25, 2016
At this exciting day-long event, participating high school students have the opportunity to:
- Present research and recommendations on how to solve key global
challenges in a short speech and small group discussions with local experts;
- Connect with other students from across Iowa to share ideas, identify solutions
to these problems and build lasting friendships;
- Interact with global leaders in science, industry and policy;
- Take part in educational sessions and interactive tours at Iowa State
University to explore current research and issues in international development
and life sciences;
- Meet innovative researchers, professors and college students in Iowa
working to end hunger and poverty and improve food security around the world, and;
- Earn a $500 scholarship to the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at
Iowa State University for completing the paper and institute.
To participate in the 2016 Iowa Youth Institute, students research a global issue and
write a three- to five-page paper under the supervision of a teacher mentor (using the downloadable guidelines above). To participate:
- Immediately contact Jacob Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org or
515-245-3727 to express your interest.
- Access the paper instructions and resources in the above, right-hand sidebar or here.
- The student/s will then write about global food security issues in a developing country. *Note: It is important for planning purposes to keep Jacob Hunter
aware of your intent to complete the paper as we anticipate the number of
participants and plan the event.
- Your school then selects the one student to represent your school as its Borlaug Scholar.
- Every school is guaranteed one spot. More spots will be available for schools after the deadline as space allows.
- The additional spots will be allocated based on the number of students participating at the local school level.
- Submit the student’s paper using the link in the above, right-hand sidebar.
The Global Youth Institute: Eighty exceptional students at the Iowa Youth Institute will be competitively selected to represent the state of Iowa as delegates at the Global Youth Institute, held in Des Moines on October 15-17, 2016. There, they will join over 300 other outstanding high school students and teachers from across the United States and around the world for an exciting three-day program to interact with Nobel and World Food Prize Laureates and the more than 1,000 global leaders from 65 countries attending the World Food Prize's annual international symposium.
By participating in the Global Youth Institute, students are also eligible to apply for a prestigious Borlaug-Ruan International Internship or USDA Wallace-Carver Fellowship.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Lunch and program expenses at the Iowa Youth Institute are covered by the World Food Prize Foundation and Iowa State University for participating student delegates and their teacher mentors.
Student and teacher participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the event at Iowa State University.
Click here to see photos from the 2015 Iowa Youth Institute!
Click here and here to see photos from the 2014 Iowa Youth Institute.
Click here to see photos from the 2013 Iowa Youth Institute.
Click here to see photos from the 2012 Iowa Youth Institute.
For more information on how to participate in the Iowa Youth Institute, contact the World Food Prize Director of Iowa Education Programs, Jacob Hunter, at email@example.com or (515) 245-3727.
Iowa Schools' Participation in the World Food Prize Youth Programs
History: Since 1994, over 1,000 Iowa high school students and 400 teachers from 200 high schools across the state have participated in the Global Youth Institute.
In addition, more than 200 Iowa high school students have traveled to Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East through the Borlaug-Ruan International Internship program to work alongside renowned scientists at leading research centers.